The Church Buildings
St Andrew's Church, Aviemore was first established in 1899 and prior to this, there had been a number of independent church meeting halls in the area. When the church was built with the kind bequest of Seafield Estates, it stood out alone, which increased the local congregation. St Andrew's was united with St Columba, Rothiemurchus in the 1970s. The church is still well used by the local community today, as both a place of meeting and worship.
Rothiemurchus Church, or The Doune Church, is one of the oldest churches in the area dating from before 1229AD, when it was first cited in official documents. The church, steeped in history and legend continued on this site until around 1929. Pictured is the remains of the original Doune Rothieurchus parish church, which was used during WW2 to store medical supplies.
St Columba Church, Inverdruie, was originally a United Free Church plant by those disheartened members of the established Church in around 1843, onward. The present church was built on the site in 1886 in only one year and is a very striking design. After a number of years and a period of reconciliation the Church returned to the Church of Scotland in 1929. Due to the decline in membership, the church building was sold and is now the Headquarters of the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team.